After living here in the great state of Texas for a few weeks now, I have come to notice some differences. These differences where greatly emphasized by our first trip to the park. First, there is the never ending heat. Idaho never gets this hot and now that it is fall, Idaho has fall like weather. (I miss those fall days!) I keep expecting it too cool off a little bit here too, and everyone keeps telling me that I missed the worst of the heat and that this is cooled off. I just keep thinking how much I am going to love winter here, no icy roads, no below zero temperatures, no coats and hats and gloves for the kids.
The second discovery was bugs! I don't like bugs! Especially the ones that bit or sting or whatever fire ants and chiggers do (at least that is what I am told is responsible). We spent a very hot hour and a half at the park today, and we all came back with bits all over our legs. No one else at playgroup seemed concerned about the heat or the bits. Poor Andrew was dripping sweat and I was forcing the kid to drink some water, while he just wanted to play. I guess after awhile we will all get accustom to the heat and the bits, and be just as pleased with these cooler temperatures in September as all the Texans are.
Lastly, this will show me for the small town girl I am, there are so many people. I can not believe the size of my brother-in-law's high school. My high school had about 700 people in it. I don't even know how many go to this one, but the size is astounding to me. I am also amazed at the amount of houses here. I just can't comprehend the large number of people who live in this area. I know, I am very naive and small town, just remember I grew up on a farm with no neighbors. I always thought that it would be a sacrifice to live on a one acre lot in a subdivision, in Idaho Falls(population 57,133). Now I am getting a picture of how small my home town is and what a different experience my kids will have growing up here in Texas.
We hope to acclimate ourselves to our new environment very quickly. Actually, since Ryan grew up in Texas and the kids don't really care, I guess I'm really the only one who has to adjust to Texas.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Janna, thanks for the warning! im sure giff and i will be joining "ya'll" in texas one day, so keep the warnings coming! i need to know what im getting myself into! get prepared! glad to hear you guys are at the park having fun though!
Well, it sounds like you are having tons of fun Janna! I have to say that I do not envy the temperatures, but I'm sure I will in about a month. :) The bugs sound like they are way too much fun...although, I think that I get enough enjoyment from hobos. By the way, your pictures are really cute!
It won't take long and then you'll enjoy it. Chiggers are bad. I hope that isn't what bit you. They stay in your skin. Ben had a really great time with you guys tonight. He really liked the area too. He asked me, "what do you think about texas?" I told him that I wouldn't mind living there. I need to call you sometime. I need your number. I'm sure we'd have alot to talk about with our 3 kids each. Yours are so adorable!
Post a Comment